Sunday 26 April 2015

There is always an option...

So, throughout the week of sunshine, I have put this together.  I came up with the idea for a new character and wrote this over a few days.  I hope you like her, and I can't wait to see what other snippets I can come up with about her...


         The low rumble of the engine cut through the silence of the night around me, and I felt every bump in the road as the bus idled down Main Street.  A soft glow from the street lights illuminated the interior of the clumsy vehicle intermittently as we cruised the road and pulled up at the next stop.  Two passengers stepped onto the bus, meaning I was no longer a lone passenger; the first passed by with her head down, a woman with fiery red hair ad a big shopping bag tucked tightly under one arm.  The second however, a tall man in a trilby hat and a smart navy blue suit, glanced up as he made his way up the bus, meeting my gaze with a gentle smile.  That was all it took, I really wish strangers wouldn’t do that.
          As the bus lurched forward, making my stomach jolt anyway, I felt the familiar pull deep in the pit of my abdomen and my head began to spin.  Light and colours exploded in front of my eyes and I reached out to grip the cool metal bar in front of me to steady myself.  The vision rolled in like a storm gathering power; chaos - the vibes were always stronger for chaos than they were for an accidental or natural death.  I considered fighting the vision, using the theory that ignorance is bliss, but thought better of it.  Did I not owe something to this man if I could alter his fate?  Chaos meant that it wasn't his time, this wasn't an old man about to pass in his sleep after a long fulfilling life; it was a man about to be cruelly cut down in the prime of his life.  He probably had a family, a wife, children, hopes and dreams just like I did. 
          I hated it when this happened in public, but more so that this appeared to be tonight.  Then I felt obliged to step in or at least try and defer it.  It wasn't like I could prevent anything long term - but I could put enough of a glitch in death's plan to make it reconsider another time.

          I took a deep breath and let the vision take a hold over me, my damp palms gripping the hand rail harder to keep me grounded as the colours began to take shape.  I saw the man in the suit step from a bus into the dying light of late evening; no, not any bus, this bus.  As the bus pulled away, the man pulled up the collar of his suit jacket and began to stride confidently down the road towards the shop fronts.  A light flickered ominously by a boarded up store, and I saw the flicker of movement in the alleyway that ran down the side of the vacant building.  Knowing exactly where this was heading and deciding that I didn’t want to watch it play out, I gave myself a good hard shake and began to pull free from the vision, teasing it apart thread by thread until I could see the tattered back of the seat in front of me again. 
          Unfortunately, I wasn't quick enough and I saw the young teen in the alley jump out on his unsuspecting victim and pull a gun.  I didn’t see what happened next, instead I concentrated on the small hole that was worn into the grubby material on the seat in front of me and tried to steady my breathing.  At least now I knew what I was dealing with, I didn’t need the specifics, I already knew the ending to this tale.  Turning slowly to locate the man in the trilby, I smiled as I met his gaze for the second time tonight.  He was sitting three seats behind me and I realised too late that he probably thought I was flirting, perfect…

          Now I had that killer decision to make…   Let life play out as it had been determined?  Or interfere and avoid the unnecessary death on my conscience by saving his life?  I knew I didn't have long to decide, the stop that I saw in my vision was only a couple of streets away, and the likely hood of the bus stopping between here and there were slim.  After years of battling this decision, I knew that I couldn’t save everyone, but I could stop some of the injustice in the world, like tonight for instance.  My instinct told me that it wasn't this mans time to die.  It didn’t have to work like that, if I could do some good tonight, by eliminating the pain and grief that this tragedy would cause to the people effected by the loss, then why shouldn’t I?  Maybe it would make me feel better and do away with the gloomy mood that had descended upon me after the lousy day that I had endured.  It didn’t matter how I justified it, I had made my decision.

          Fog clung to the ground as I stepped off the bus after the stranger in the suit; four stops before I needed to I might add.  My sense of duty had got the better of me, no matter how much I had tried to reason with myself that it wasn't my problem.  One day I would have to stop messing with this stuff, I still didn’t fully understand the ramifications of a situation once I had messed with it, but for now my conscience had gotten the better of me.  I didn’t even know this man, but I felt it was my responsibility to save him.
          As he turned right and began to walk, his shoes echoing in the brisk evening air, I bent down and untied my shoelace and retying it while I surveyed my surroundings.  This situation couldn’t get anymore ironic if I'd planned it.  I saw the boarded up store front from my vision a few blocks down the badly lit street, the street lamp directly outside it flickering threateningly like something out of a low budget horror movie.
          How much could I alter what I saw, could I merely delay him and dodge the issue, or was I going to have to be more creative and completely change the scenario? 

          Thinking fast, I stood up and turned after the man.
          'Excuse me?' I called ahead.
          He turned and gave me a polite smile lifting his hat and tipping it in my direction whilst cautiously glancing sideways. 
          'Mind if I walk with you rather than follow a few paces behind?  I'm heading just around the corner.'  I gestured to street that branched off the main road a few blocks after the dark alleyway that held the armed teenager. 
          'Of course not,' he answered politely, holding out his arm for me to take.
          Clearly seeing a damsel that needed to be protected out in the late evening darkness, he tightened his arm pulling me close as I took his gesture and fell into step beside him.  The bus turned the corner ahead and took with it the only noise in the empty street other than the metallic click of the flickering street light.  I trained my eyes on the alleyway up ahead and kept looking for any signs of the kid from my vision, whilst trying to pay attention to the man that was now politely trying to make conversation beside me. 
          'You can call me Val,' I answered in response to his posed question after introducing himself as Calvin.
          I noted the wedding band on his left hand as he waved it about animatedly in front of us as he spoke and knew that I was doing some good if I could make sure that he made it home to his wife tonight.  As we neared the alley way between the abandoned store and the novelty gift shop next door, I saw the glint of something shiny move in the darkness and drew a sharp intake of breath.  Calvin looked towards me at the sound and I quickly pretended to stumble so that he could right my step chivalrously. 
          'I'm sorry, I can be clumsy sometimes,' I muttered whilst surreptitiously glancing back to the dark alley entrance. 
         
          I saw my opportunity and gestured for us to cross the road towards the turn off where the bus had gone.  Calvin agreed and stepped off the curb with me into the road.  The teenager didn’t make an appearance from the darkness and I called it a successful intervention.  As we headed down the street under the soft glow of the street lights, we continued to make small talk before we parted ways at the corner where I now had a three stop walk back to my apartment, but the stranger from the bus would go home to his wife.  The teenager was clearly looking for an easy opportunity to prove his rebellious side and a couple walking down the road would not prove easy, and killing a woman would not prove him as anything other than sadistic.

          As I finally climbed the stairs up to my third floor apartment, I shrugged out of my coat as I slipped the key into the lock and released a deep breath, trying hard to let go of all the tension that had built up throughout the day.  I dropped the keys on the bench by the door and flipped the catch before heading straight down the hall and peering around the end doorway into my daughter's room.  Standing in the quiet flat, I watched as she slept soundly, completely unaware of the world around her, and hoped, like I did every night, that her life would turn out differently.
          Yep, that's me, a loving mother, the wife to a successful junior doctor and a Valkyrie.  Oh, did I forget to mention that part?  Yep, that's me, my name is Melissa, but I tend to go by Val when I am out defending the innocent.  Three years ago I discovered that the delusional visions that I had been seeing since I turned sixteen were in actual fact premonitions of up and coming deaths; jolly I know!  So, after spending many painstakingly long years of confusion, upset and self doubt, I have spent the last three years, after finding out what I was, from a most unlikely source I might add, learning how to understand and control my abilities, and even harder, to learn how to deal with my conscience after deciding whether to let destiny play out to plan, or to intervene and piss off the universe by messing up their plan every now and again.   

          It was a hard line to two - one that didn’t seem to be getting any easier no matter how many times I had to deal with it, but I think I was getting there.  In the mean time, I had to settle on the fact that my life was slowly working itself out, and I could be happy, despite my history.

Hope you enjoyed it :)
Louby x

No comments:

Post a Comment