Thursday 1 August 2013

Tall, Dark and Dangerous

He commanded attention the minute he entered the spacious underground room.  Everyone seemed to stare; myself included!  The dim disco lights and flashing strobe lighting illuminated his broad figure as he glided across the dance floor towards the bar.  I shrunk back into my stool, letting the shadowy corner conceal my face.  As he approached the bar a stray light passed over him, revealing a handsome face and a body to die for.  His coffee coloured skin and dark black hair gave him a Latino look that made me glad I was sitting down, for my knees went weak.  His dark eyes looked cool and mysterious as he placed his hands flat on the bar and leant in to speak to the short red head behind the bar.  Her body language and girlish manner told me that he was flirting with her; and she was loving it.  She scuttled away an returned minutes later with his drink and a black serviette to place it on.  From here the neat liquor in the short round tumbler looked like Brandy, but could just have easily been a rich Whiskey.  The bar had plenty of choice after all. 

I looked again at the mysterious new stranger.  I knew most people that entered the club, ninety-five per cent of the crowds that passed through the doors each night were regulars, choosing to spend their nights in the swanky underground rock club rather than crawl the streets looking for decent bars with decent music.  The range of customers ranged from teenagers just legal to drink and young adults looking for a good time, to business men and women looking for somewhere to let their hair down after a long and hard week at the office.  All were taken care of by the staff here, who went out of their way to make the clubbers happy and had a good night.  There was staff presence everywhere, even on the dance floor most nights, and the punters loved it. 

The other five per cent were the one timers that quickly decided the club wasn't to their taste.  There were rarely out of towners came in...  So why did I not know who this gorgeous stranger was less than five feet away from me.  I took in his attire, a plain business suit that looked black in this light, but could just as easily be navy blue.  His white shirt and tie to match the jacket were wrinkle free and he looked calm and stress free.  Not like he had just finished a week at work and come to blow off some steam on a late June Friday night.  Everyone in here had been hot and sticky before they hit the dance floor; the unusually muggy weather outside being a thorn in everyone's side after too many weeks without rain.  This guy however was as cool and calm as if he'd just walked out of the freezer, though that smouldering look on his face as he watched the movement out on the floor was enough to defrost anyone. 

I followed his gaze and saw one of the girls out on the floor.  She danced with two men dressed in similar suits to tall, dark and dangerous over here, but they looked like I expected after a long day at the office; bedraggled and ready for the weekend.  Nikki, the brunette in the sexy staff uniform moved to the music, letting the men dance with her, their hands on her waist and shoulders.  To many it would look like she couldn't handle them, but to someone who knew her she had them right where she wanted; at arms length.  Figuratively speaking of course.  She would gently and surreptitiously slide their hands back to safe spaces when they began to wander from their current positions, and would conveniently sway to the music if they got too close.  Some would call her a 'cock-tease', I call it good technique.  I should know.  I taught it to her. 

I decided I needed to know who the stranger was.  I slid from my red velvet bar stool at the shadowy end of the bar and made my way towards the tall, broad man still trying to chat up the bar staff.  I cleared my throat and he turned around, dazzling me with the full force of his beauty.
"Hi, It's very nice to meet you, I'm the club owner, my name is Nel.  What brings you to The Basement?"

~~~~~~~

So there we go, had this swimming about my head for a few days now and wasn't sure what to make of it...  I'm not sure who he is or what his agenda is, it was just the scene in my head that I could see.  Any ideas?  Who is he?  What is he doing at The Basement? 

Let me know your ideas please!

No comments:

Post a Comment