Tuesday 14 May 2013

A night under the moon...

This one has been written a while, just needed some tweaking!  Let me know what you think.

~~~~~~~

I dropped to my hands and knees, the damp ground instantly soaking into the denim of my charcoal grey jeans.  The ache spread through my body, ripping a groan from my throat.  The pain made my muscles tense and a sharp tingling sensation began to creep across my skin, reaching all the way down to the tips of my fingers.  I clawed at the mud under my hands, feeling it gather behind my freshly manicured nails as I pulled the earth towards me.  What was happening to me?  A fire set deep in my stomach and crawled through my veins at an annoyingly sluggish pace. 

The pain my body was feeling right now felt like I was being ripped apart from the inside out.  Yet at the same time, the surge of energy that was powering through me made me feel like I could take on the world.  My mind began to reel as my arms buckled beneath me, unable to hold my weight anymore.  I rolled onto my side, the wet ground cushioning my fall.  Again a groan escaped my lips as I tried to concentrate enough to work out my options for the situation I had found myself in. 

I heard the scream pierce the silence around me.  It echoed through the trees and took me a while to realise it had been me.  The crunching of my own bones shattered the quiet pressing in around me as my shoulders seemed to pop out of their sockets and readjust their position in my body.  Darkness swam in front of my eyes as my hips started the same process.  Pain seared through my joints and I vaguely remember hearing a strangled cry escape my lips before I lost my grip on consciousness.

I came too on my side, panting heavily; my body feeling like it had run a marathon.  I blinked several times to bring the world into focus, but couldn't quite clear the fog.  Still panting I began to look around and realised that the world wasn't blurry at all.  In fact it was startlingly clear.  I blinked again, confused.  I looked up into the treetops and could see the veins on the underside of the leaves.  The moon light bouncing off the branches into the clearing caused wispy light to fill the air, and as I blinked once more, the dust particles floating around into the light stream jumped into focus.

Something still wasn't right though; where was the colour I was used to?  The muted shades around me had to be more than the lack of light.  There was no vibrance left, a palate of grey painted everything around me, leaving me feeling cold and exposed.

No comments:

Post a Comment